Renew + Rebuild
Can you believe it’s June already? Where has this year gone? Dealing with the pandemic has caused us all a lot of distraction, but we are steadily recovering from it, and by June 15, we have been promised relief from most restrictions. I’m ready for that, how about you?
So as we approach mid-year, it’s good to re-assess our focus for this year at Lighthouse, which is: Renew, Rebuild & Reach Out – Our Ministries, Our Facilities, Ourselves. For we all need renewal and rebuilding, from me and you, to our aging facilities, to the re-opening of all our ministries. And we need to reach out to others with the love of God.
I want to spend the next 7 weeks with you focusing on Renewing & Rebuilding, because they are related; and then the rest of this summer on Reaching Out. So starting this Sunday, we will explore a series of stories of renewal from God’s Word. I hope you can join us for each one, in person if possible, or livestreaming, or through one of our other online options. We’re still missing about 100 people since the pandemic, so we could really use you! Romans 12:2 says, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Don’t miss this opportunity to be renewed through God’s Word!
Here are some other areas where renewal is taking place:
- We have already hired a pastoral search firm to help find our next Youth & Young Adults Pastor. A consultant will be making an onsite visit this weekend to observe our services and programs and meet with our leaders. A typical search takes 4-6 months, so we need to be patient and prepared for however long it takes for God to lead the right person here. In the meantime…
- Joey DeLao will be teaching the middle & high school class on Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. in room 11. Joey has a strong faith and a great testimony, and our students should relate well to him, so please encourage your middle & high school students and friends to attend this class. Thank you, Joey, for stepping into this role!
- Scott Hoerner will continue leading the Stoked ministry for middle & high school students on Tuesdays from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. through July 6, and take the students to CIY July 12-17. We thank Scott for his ministry here and for serving during this transition.
- I will be overseeing the Young Adults ministry on Wednesdays from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. in room 4. We have a guest speaker this week from Pathway Health Clinic giving a rationale for protecting the unborn, and then we’ll be discussing plans for the future. All those 18 to 30-something invited to join us on Wednesdays for fellowship & discipleship! Many go out to eat afterwards.
- Our sanctuary refresh is making progress, as we have been looking at flooring options and getting bids. We plan to make a recommendation to the elders soon. We are also looking at chairs, walls, projection, lighting, baptistry, and sound improvements, as funds allow. Some of this awaits the sale of a piece of our property, which continues to make progress. The purchasers are working out issues with our cellular towers and plans to pave our back road and parking area. It seems slow sometimes, but the technical details are being resolved behind the scenes, and they plan to close by year-end.
Just like our own personal renewal sometimes seems to be going slowly. But God’s Word says: “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6
God has plans for us. He wants to renew & rebuild us. We just have to be patient and responsive.
See you Sunday,
Mike Openshaw, Senior Minister